Thursday, April 12, 2007

Guilty Pleasure #1


We all have them, we all love them, we are all ashamed of them to differing degrees... our guilty pleasures. I have my fair share, but the first one that comes to mind is Roger Avary's 2002 film adaptation of the Bret Easton Ellis novel THE RULES OF ATTRACTION. I will admit to thinking that the movie is rather crude, self-indulgent, unrealistic, stocked with unsympathetic characters and somewhat pointless from a storytelling perspective... And yet I still feel the urge now and again to pop in the dvd and relish in its high points:

  • Dawson from the Creek (that's James Van Der Beek as the American Psycho's brother!) as an obnoxious drug dealer constantly sneering at the camera!
  • Victor's speedy debaucherous romp through Europe!
  • Two guys jumping on a bed lip-syncing to "Faith" while their moms drink and pop pills!
  • Guest stars Fred Savage and Paul Williams as Dr. Phibes!
I love it! But I can't look you in the eyes right now.

No comments: